Tuesday, August 9, 2011

community and SAGE

Keith Fortenbach is one of the 7 interns working with the Edible Corvallis Initiative this summer. He spends most of his time out at the Starker Arts Garden for Education, getting involved in our volunteer program and learning more about small-scale farming and gardening as one of three Sustainable Agriculture Interns. He's an engineering student at OSU and was in the Navy for 5 years! We asked him to share a bit about his experience so far, and he chose to share the sense of community that he has come to know while working out at SAGE.

"Community. It is amazing the sense of community I get from being involved with SAGE. I meet volunteers who are excited to work here. People who are just curious about the garden walk up and I get to tell them a little bit about SAGE and show them what we grow and have them try a sweet pea. I get to meet people who are incredibly knowledgeable and experienced and passionate about gardening, which makes me feel like what I am doing is worthwhile. I get to offer my labor and see a positive impact by not only  helping to provide food for others but help create and be a part of a community.

One thing that I've been able to do since working at SAGE this summer is grow my own vegetables at an OSU student garden. I harvested and cooked those vegetables, and in turn can share them with others at SAGE."


Keith has been an enormous help to the SAGE garden this summer and is willing to help with anything we throw his way! He's shown us amazing flexibility and dedication to SAGE with everything from leading volunteers to building potato bins. He shared his secret family recipe of garden-fresh chili at our last To Grow Box class - it was a big hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment