Friday, August 19, 2011

Square Foot Gardening

Marinna Guzy is one of the 7 interns working with the Edible Corvallis Initiative this summer. She one of our fabulous Sustainable Agriculture interns, and is learning more about cultivating veggies and community while simultaneously working on a documentary about SAGE! Marinna has also been working in the demonstration garden, focusing in on the Square Foot Gardens that Chloe got started this spring. Here's what she's had to say about her time working with the Square Foot Garden:


"Each Sustainable Agriculture Intern is required to undertake a growing project. Basically, all an intern is required to do is grow something. When faced with this very open-ended project, I decided to take over an existing project leftover from the previous term: two square foot garden plots. Little did I know that this would prove to be as informative and bountiful (in terms of veggies and knowledge) as it has been. As part of this experience I was required to read a definitive account of the techniques of square foot gardening by Mel Bartholomew. I finished the book and learned how productive only a square foot of garden space can be. While book learning is all well and good, it always seems like a concept doesn’t hit home nearly as hard until you actually go out and experience that concept in action. Lucky for me, I had my two adopted square foot garden plots to observe and experiment with
 
In the beginning, I was harvesting a few lettuce leaves here and there, and while this was still great, Mr. Bartholomew’s assertion of incredibly productive harvests from a single square foot was not totally apparent. Once mid-July rolled around though… I began to see his point, and since then, my family and I have enjoyed plenty of delicious salads, peas, onions, and even some volunteer sunflowers and poppies!"

No comments:

Post a Comment