Thursday, November 29, 2012

Meals on Wheels: A Piloted Partnership

Delivery for 2nd week of October: Each participant
received a box of cherry tomatoes, 2 large tomatoes,
1 cucumber and 1 green pepper.
Meals on Wheels -- I recently learned -- is a network of over 5,000 feeding programs that daily delivers 1 million ready-to-eat meals to seniors and those with disabilities.  Now we're partnering with our local chapter and helping evolve the model.  Not only are participants receiving ready-to-eat food, some are receiving fresh food from SAGE.

This fall we piloted a program with 15 Meals on Wheels participants who received a small array of produce each week.  Sort of a smaller scale CSA.  I tried to offer seniors a good variety of foods that are easy to prepare, store well and are relatively familiar.  After 5 weeks of deliveries, here are some comments from happy participants....

"I have so appreciated all the fresh produce you have given me.  Somehow, it seems to taste much better than store bought produce.  I truly think that this is because it shows how caring you are about the elderly and/or disabled people.  So, with all sincerity, thank you."

"I thank you so very much for the produce I received.  It was like a Christmas gift with surprises inside!"

Some of the "sweetest" cabbage growing
"I had the cabbage last night - the sweetest I had ever tasted!"  

Next year we're hoping to start the program earlier in the season and offer a bit of educational material for the more oddball items.  I'm excited about finding this new way to partner and collaborate to provide more of our community members with fresh, healthy produce.

Cheers,
Deanna
Garden Manager

1 comment:

  1. Nice site project and great info. Thanks, looking forward to your feed updates'
    Essay Writing

    ReplyDelete